Are you looking for fun activities for preschool learning at home?! These easy and simple ideas are a blast and just what you need!!
- Explore Patterns:
- make snack patterns (for example: line up pretzel, goldfish, pretzel, goldfish)
- patterns with LEGOs
- patterns with stickers
- patterns with magnetic tiles on the garage door
- patterns with socks while folding laundry (white, white, gray, white, white, gray, etc.)
- patterns with buttons
- make stamping patterns in playdough
- string fruit loops on a necklace making color patterns
- pattern friendship bracelets: buy string and beads at the craft store
- make patterns gross motor movements (jump, jump, clap, jump, jump, clap; or reach high, stomp, reach high, stomp)
Fun with Sorting
- Sorting Activities
- sort coins by type
- sort silverware by type
- sort objects by shape (circles and spheres together, squares and cubes together, etc.)
- sort pompoms by color
- sort LEGOS by color
- sort cars by color
- sort letters by uppercase and lowercase
- sort numbers and letters
- sort animals figures by size (small and large)
- sort socks by size (children’s and adults’)
- Practice with Letters and Letter Sounds:
- Post It Search: hide post-it notes around the house with letters – find the letters and build the alphabet
- Letter Hop: write letters on the sidewalk in chalk – call out a letter and hop to it!
- Put letter puzzle pieces in a bin of rice – kids find the pieces and place in the puzzle
- Wrap letter puzzle pieces in tin foil – kids unwrap and place in the puzzle
- Giant name painting – write kids’ names on butcher paper and let them paint
- Alphabet match – write letters on the sidewalk and have kids match the letters
- Write letters on magnetic tiles – use them to build the child’s name
- Practice letter formation in a tray of salt using a paint brush
- Practice letter formation in a gallon bag of hair gel or shaving cream – seal it and tape it down
- Sound Search! Search the whole house to find something that starts with each letter of the alphabet – gather the objects together in order and label them with their letter!
- paint on tin foil
- paint with water on the sidewalk
- hot glue boxes together and paint a skyscraper
- paint ice with water colors (can freeze a baking sheet of ice or do ice cubes)
- cut a fruit or veggie in half and stamp with it
- paint recyclable materials
- paint a mural outside
- use LEGOs to stamp with paint
- use cookie cutter to stamp with paint
- make sidewalk chalk paint (2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water, ¼ piece of smashed chalk – combine all and add water as needed)
Looking for more fun crafts for kids?! Check out these 40+ easy crafts for kids!!
Preschool Activities for the Car
- Games for in the Car
- I spy something that starts with the ____ sound.
- I spy something that rhymes with the word _____.
- Give two rhyming words – kids think of a third word that rhymes.
- Color hunt – take along a clipboard with colors on it (kids cross off the colors as they see them)
- Give two words and kids tell if it rhymes or does not rhyme.
- Pick a letter sound and think of words together that begin with that sound (dog, dinner, donuts)
- Go back and forth counting with your child (one person says one, the next two, and so on)
- Count objects – “I wonder how many signs we’ll pass on the drive! Let’s count them together!)
- Play guess my number: “I’m thinking of the number that’s one more than 3.” – you can make this more or less challenging based on your child’s development.
- Think of animals and count the number of syllables in that animal name (bear – 1, puppy – 2, flamingo – 3) – clap the syllables together as you count.
Don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter! Thank you for reading, and have fun with this preschool learning at home with your little ones!