Whether you’re a local family or you are visiting Chicago with kids for the weekend, there are countless options for family fun in Chicago. Here is a list of 25 fun things to do in Chicago with family!
Shows and Experiences in Chicago
1. See a Broadway in Chicago show at the Cadillac Palace Theatre. Check for kid-friendly shows like Annie, Wicked, and more. There are often national tours that come through Chicago, so it’s worth checking what’s playing when you’ll be in town!
2. Visit the Navy Pier IMAX Theatre for a larger-than-life movie experience.
3. Watch a performance at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier.
4. Catch a movie at the historic Music Box Theatre.
5. Attend a family-friendly play at the Chicago Children’s Theatre.
6. Visit the Blue Man Group show at the Briar Street Theatre.
Blue Man Group is an awesome experience for families with kids! This unique and entertaining experience is a one-of-a-kind performance that combines music, comedy, and multimedia elements. The show is full of surprises and is sure to keep your kids engaged and entertained from start to finish.
7. Go to the top of the Willis Tower Skydeck for a stunning view of the city.
Kid-Friendly Museums in Chicago
8. Explore the interactive exhibits at the Museum of Science and Industry.
9. Discover the universe at the Adler Planetarium.
10. Enjoy nature at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum (full blog post here on this awesome museum!)
This is a fantastic option if you have younger kids – this museum is smaller (and cheaper!) than many of the larger Chicago museums. There are lots of hands-on exhibits, and I love this as a stop for kids 8 and under!
11. Learn about dinosaurs and ancient cultures at the Field Museum.
12. Experience the Shedd Aquarium, an amazing aquarium with dolphins, sharks, and more!
13. Visit the Chicago Children’s Museum at Navy Pier – I have a full blog post on this exceptional museum here.
14. Check out the art at the Art Institute of Chicago.
More Museum Resources!
These tips are SO helpful if you’re visiting museums with kids – check out my top 20 tips for museums with kids here.
Learn more about my favorite Chicago Museums in this post!
Special Attractions: things to do in Chicago with Family
15. Take a boat tour on the Chicago River and Lake Michigan.
16. See the animals at the Lincoln Park Zoo – it’s free!
17. Go on a bike ride along the lakefront on the Chicago Lakefront Trail.
18. See a game at Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs.
19. Ride the Ferris Wheel and other amusement park rides at Navy Pier.
20. Play in the fountain at Millennium Park! Then visit the iconic Cloud Gate sculpture, also known as “The Bean,” in Millennium Park.
21. Go ice skating at Maggie Daley Park if it’s winter! Or play on the AMAZING playgrounds if you visit during warmer months.
22. See the animals at the Lincoln Park Zoo.
24. Walk around the vibrant and artistic neighborhood of Pilsen.
25. Enjoy the natural beauty of the Chicago Botanic Garden. This is outside the city, but worth the drive! It’s a beautiful space that kids will LOVE.
Wrapping things up, I hope you and your family have a wonderful time visiting Chicago! Let me know if you have any questions – shoot me an email or a DM on Instagram! I’m always happy to help!
Thanks for reading about things to do in Chicago with family, and enjoy your Chicago adventures!!